Horses forever changed life on the Great Plains. They tipped the balance of power in favor of mounted warriors, and they were prized as wealth. For Native Americans today, horses endure as an emblem of tradition and a source of pride, pageantry and healing.
Indian Relay Racing is a way for teams to compete for cash and prizes. Teams consist of one rider, three horses, two holders and a mugger.
The race starts in front of the grandstands, with a standing start. Racers make one lap around the track, changing horses twice in front of the grandstands.
Timers keep track of heats and the teams with the best times advance to the Championship race on Saturday night.
Teams will compete for $50,000 in cash and prizes before the PRCA Rodeo Performance July 12, 13, 14 and 15, 2017
21st Annual Event!
$50,000 in Cash & Prizes
$500 ENTRY FEE
Entries Limited to First 20 Applicants
Entries Close June 29, 2017!
Late entries: $700!
Cash prizes for traditional tribal costuming!
Buckles and Jackets awarded to race winners!
WORLD CHAMPION INDIAN RELAY RACE SPONSORS
Shawn Real Bird
- A loose horse on the track disqualifies the team for that heat only.
- Traditional tribal costumes (moccasins, breechcloths) required for riders. Any rider not properly attired may be assessed a 10 second penalty!!!!
- 4 people and 3 horses per team (a maximum of 5 horses may be rotated).
- All horses remain on track during entire race.
- Intoxicated teams and bad behavior will constitute disqualification. This includes unsportsmanlike conduct and animal cruelty, arguing with judges and/or official personnel.
- Races will be timed. Championship race determined by times posted in qualifying heats.
- Dismounted, standing start. Muggers may assist rider.
- Sheridan WYO Rodeo reserves the right to refuse any entry.
- A line will be marked in front of the grandstand. Any rider mounting their horse between this line and the grandstand will be assessed a 10 second penalty.
- Race officials will draw post positions July 5th, 2015 so that races may be posted in the rodeo program.
- Race officials reserve the right to excuse any team with unruly or unfit horses.
- Pre-race meeting at 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, July 8th. All teams are required to attend.
TEAM ENTRY DEADLINE: all entries must be postmarked no later than June 30, 2015 and mailed to: Sheridan WYO Rodeo, P.O. Box 742 Sheridan WY 82801